Skip to main content
121 Wisconsin Ave. STE 101, Whitefish, MT 59937 | (406) 219-4041

Montana Registered Agents

Explain it to me; what is a registered agent?

A registered agent, sometimes referred to as a resident agent, is a company with a physical presence in Montana who is responsible for accepting legal service of process on your behalf. Your registered agent is required to be present and available during typical business hours.

Am I supposed to have a registered agent?

In Montana, every business is required to pick a resident agent. Additionally, Montana requires an official street address on record where your agent can be found during normal business hours. Starting a new business in Montana can be a complicated process. It’s critical that you finish a hodgepodge of legal forms and documents. At Registered Agent Services, Inc., we can help your business by taking care of your registered agent services.

What types of businesses are required to have a Registered Agent in Montana?

A Montana LLC, out of State LLC, a Montana corporation, a foreign corporation, a non-profit corporation or organization, a limited partnership, a limited liability partnership, or any other Montana enterprise is required to have a registered agent in Montana and a Montana registered office on file.

How does having a registered agent aid my business?

First and foremost, appointing our registered agent service keeps your business in adherence of Montana state law. On top of that, we accept and scan any service of process, legal notice, annual report, or letter received into your client account locally in Montana. You receive instantaneous notice of any paperwork scanned into your Montana registered agent client account.

As an added service, we also track your Montana annual report due date and send you prompts with how-to links to file your report before your due date with the Montana Secretary of State.

Are there any requirements or restrictions I should know about my resident agent?

There are few requirements relating to who can act as a registered agent in Montana. Specifically, the person or entity acting as your registered agent must be located and available at an official street address within Montana during normal business hours. Your Registered Agent will be responsible to receive all legal and tax-related documents, annual report forms, litigation (service of process) documents, etc., for you. It is crucial that you designate a solid company, like Registered Agent Services, Inc., when choosing your registered agent.