Skip to main content
121 Wisconsin Ave. STE 101, Whitefish, MT 59937 | (406) 219-4041

California Registered Agents

Define a registered agent?

A registered agent, sometimes referred to as a statutory agent, is a business with a physical location in California who is responsible for accepting legal notices on behalf of your business. Your registered agent is required to be available and present during normal business hours.

Am I supposed to have a registered agent?

In California, every company is supposed to nominate a resident agent. Additionally, the California Secretary of State needs an official physical address on record where the agent can be reached during standard business hours. Forming a new enterprise in California can be a complex process. It’s vital that you fill in a variety of legal documents and forms. At Registered Agent Services, Inc., we can assist your company by handling your registered agent services.

What types of companies need to have a Registered Agent in California?

An LLC in California, foreign LLC, a California corporation, a foreign corporation, a non-profit corporation or organization, a limited partnership, a limited liability partnership, or any other California business is required to have a registered agent in California and a California registered office listed.

How can having a registered agent assist my company?

Most importantly, designating our registered agent service keeps your business in compliance with California state law. On top of that, we receive and scan any service of process, legal notice, letter, or annual report received into your client account locally here in California. You receive immediate notice of any paperwork scanned into your California resident agent customer account. As an added California registered agent service, we also track your State annual report due date and email you reminders with do-it-yourself links to file your paperwork in a timely manner with the Secretary of State.

Are there any restrictions or requirements I should know about my statutory agent?

There are not many restrictions concerning who can be your registered agent in California. Specifically, the person or entity acting as your resident agent needs to be located and available at a physical street address within the state of California during typical business hours. Your Registered Agent will be responsible to accept all legal and tax-related documents, annual report forms, litigation (service of process) documents, etc., on your behalf. It is important that you designate a solid company, such as Registered Agent Services, Inc., when you’re choosing your California registered agent.